Milk tart (melktert) is a South African favourite and our recipe is ideal for those abstaining from eggs.
Ingredients for the crust
¼ cup of margarine
¼ cup of sugar
250g of self raising flour
25ml iced water
Ingredients for the filling
1 cinnamon stick
2 ½ cups of full creamed milk
2 tablespoons of sugar
2 tablespoons of corn flour
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
Cinnamon powder for sprinkling
Method for the crust
- Combine and cream together margarine and sugar in a bowl.
- Mix in the flour and stir in the water to form a dough.
- Roll out the dough into a greased pie dish and prick with a fork.
- Bake on 180 degrees for 20 minutes or until cooked.
- Allow the crust to cool
Method for the filling
- Boil together 2 cups of milk and the cinnamon stick.
- In a bowl, mix the remainder of the milk with corn flour.
- Stir this mixture into the boiled milk as well as the vanilla essence and sugar.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and mix well till smooth and creamy.
- When the mixture is completely cooled scoop into the baked crust.
- Sprinkle over cinnamon powder and castor sugar.
- Place in the refrigerator and serve chilled.