1 cup of flour
¾ cup of water
A few drops of orange food colour
1 teaspoon of fruit salts
Oil for deep frying
Ingredients for syrup
250ml of sugar
500ml of water
5ml of rose essence
Method for the jalebis
- Combine flour and fruit salts together.
- Stir in the water and food colour into the mixture to form a thick batter. The batter should be at a good consistency to easily pass through the jalebi maker.
- Place the batter into a jalebi maker and form pretzel like shapes.
- Deep fry the jalebis until crisp and firm.
- Remove from the oil and place into the syrup mixture. Drain onto a wire rack.
Method for syrup
Boil together water and sugar until the sugar dissolves completely. The mixture will resemble a semi thick syrup. Remove the syrup from the heat and keep warm.
This recipe has been submitted by a reader. If you wish to submit your own recipe, please email us. The prepared dish may not resemble the inset picture.