Gem squash stuffed with sweetcorn is an easy oven baked dish that is quick to prepare. This versatile dish can be served as a starter or as a side dish. It is mildly seasoned with fresh herbs and spices and topped with a sprinkling of cheese.
- 2 gem squash
- 1 cup sweeetcorn
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 sprigs spring onions
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- Cut the gem squash into halves and deseeded.
- Place the gem squash in a large pot and add enough water to cover the surface of the gem squash.
- Steam the gem squash until it has cooked through then remove it from the water and allow it to cool.
- In a non stick pan melt 1 tablespoon of butter or margarine on the stove top.
- Stir in the sweetcorn, salt, and spring onion.
- Simmer the sweetcorn mixture until cooked and set it aside.
- In a bowl carefully remove the pulp of the gem squash.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter or margarine and salt to taste.
- Mix well. Spoon the gem squash mixture back into the shell.
- Add in the fried sweeetcorn and grated cheese.
- Place the stuffed gem squash in an oven proof tray and bake on 180 degrees for 5-8 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- For quick results the gem squash can be placed in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Serve the stuffed gem squash hot as a side serving or as a starter.